Photobucket   Photobucket   photobucket   Photobucket   Photobucket

Saturday 24 May 2014

Saturday Sweet Tooth: Attempting Red Velvet Cupcakes


Over the bank holiday weekend I was in the mood to do some baking, but rather than buying a kit I wanted to make some myself. So, in the middle of Asda, I did a quick Google of Red Velvet Cupcakes (thank you 3G) and picked up the ingredients.

I got the recipe from here (not trying to plagiarise) so you can get the full list and instructions you can go there; but here's what we did!


Cream together your butter and sugar until smooth and creamy.


You then need to add the buttermilk. Buttermilk can be found in the milk section FYI. I thought it'd be with the condensed milk and stuff.



Then you need to add the eggs and stir!



Then it's time to add the red food dye. My tip, add the whole bottle!!! (You'll see why.)


Next up vinegar (which the boyfriend had to do, I HATE VINEGAR)





Then it's time for flour, cocoa powder and stir!





Transfer to baking cases and bake in the oven.


This is why you need to add more food dye...





Then get icing and decorating. 

Whilst these tasted delicious, they were definitely velvety, they weren't exactly red. Next time, on recommendation from my good friend Rachel, I'll be using food paste or the whole darn bottle.

Lesson learned.

What do you think?

Laura xoxo

2 comments:

  1. I think it was a very good job! I haven't baked cupckes in forever and mistakes like your coloring is common! I'm sure they were delicious anyway as you said! I wish I had one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These looks lovely!

    Stephanie
    http://missstephanieusher.blogspot.co.uk/
    http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/3436251
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for you comment, it really brightens my day.