Photobucket   Photobucket   photobucket   Photobucket   Photobucket

Friday 16 May 2014

Fiction Friday: Getting into Thrillers


When it comes to fiction I'm pretty much rom com central. Any story where a girl meets a guy and they fall in love and end up happily ever after pretty much makes me happy. That and a bit of teen fiction such as the Hunger games and (dare I say it) Twilight. However I'd heard such a buzz about Gone Girl that summer, two years ago, I downloaded the preview onto my Kindle to give it a go, but I just couldn't get into it.

Of course over those two years more and more people started reading it, so when I spotted it on my aunt's shelf a couple of weeks ago I asked if I could borrow it and decided to see what all the fuss was about; and now I get it!

For me, it starts off a bit slow, and whilst it is meant to be a thriller, the writing style (especially of Amy's diary) is pretty much the style I'm used to. Then you get to the middle and shit gets cray! For me, the only let down of the book was the end.

When I asked to borrow Gone Girl my aunt suggested I also read Into The Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes, as she said it's better than Gone Girl.

Again when I read the description at the back I did wonder if it was going to be my cup of tea (Green Tea with mint, if you were wondering!) but I devoured the whole book in one sitting on a lazy Saturday. For me, it was slightly more gripping from the offset than Gone Girl and whilst there is no major twist like in the previous book, the ending was much better in my opinion, although it could've been a little longer.

Into The Darkest Corner focuses on just one character and flicks between present day and the past. It's really interesting seeing how things can change in time and the effects different relationships can have on you. I definitely felt more 'tense' reading this one than Gone Girl. Whereas Gone Girl was more of a 'who done it' book, ITDC  was more of a 'when's it going to happen next'.

So now I think I quite like thrillers. Well I say thrillers, these are the psychologically scaring books that I feared they would be, and both contained a bit of the chick lit that I know and love.

So now I'm onto Fractured which was mentioned on Nouvelle Daily, and my aunt has kindly lent me a couple more too, so we know where my fiction is heading.

What do you think of these books? Have you read them? Do you like book reviews? What's your favourite

(So many questions!)

Laura xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for you comment, it really brightens my day.