Blogging was definitely a lot easier before I went into full time employment. I'm sure many began their blog as a uni side line project and with the flexible student life it was much easier to fit in a regular blogging schedule. However when you throw in working through day light hours and the need to squeeze a lot of things into a limited time frame things can be a little tricky. I must admit it's taken me a while to adjust to the whole working and keeping a blog balance. Of course I was tempted to just stop blogging, but my blog is something I'm proud of and something I want to stick with, so I've had to figure out some ways to balance the two. Hopefully this post may help some of you too.
1) Plan ahead - I like to have at least a weeks blog posts scheduled and ready to go, with others either drafted or titles created at the minimum. I have a little diary which I like to write down and plan when and what I'm going to post about.
2) Make use of the 'notes' section in your phone - Ideas come to you at the most peculiar times and places, and if you're anything like me you'll forget them almost instantly so it's always best to write your ideas down and then come back to them (if you can remember where you wrote them, but that's a different topic really.)
3) Schedule time - Whilst being a student meant you could grab a few minutes in the day here and there to snap pictures and write posts, it's much harder when you're working 9-5. Set aside some dedicated time at the weekend and plan out the weeks posts and take bulk photos. For me photos are the hardest part to incorporate as you have to upload them to your computer and then on the post too (life's tough isn't it!)
4) Make use of free hours - I like to upload my pictures on the weekend and then during my lunch break type up one blog post a day (as long as I have the time, obviously.) It's a great way to stay on top of things but I don't feel overwhelmed doing it in one go.It also doesn't make me resent blogging for taking up all of my weekend time.
5) Don't stress - It's not the end of the world if you miss a day or two (or even a week!) I've learnt that blogging is definitely a hobby and the more I stress about it, the less I want to do it. There is no point forcing crappy content (which I hope this isn't) that you aren't proud of, if you don't like it, chances are others won't either.
What are your tips for juggling blogging and life?