Photobucket   Photobucket   photobucket   Photobucket   Photobucket

Saturday 1 March 2014

Saturday Sweet Tooth: Rock Buns

When I was younger, on the weekends I was at my dad's and he wanted some peace and quiet to watch the football (snooze) he had to think of things I could do get me out of the way. Baking was one of those things; something that benefited both of our stomachs. 

Rock buns were something that we both enjoyed, and his then girlfriend's mom used to make them too and gave me the recipie. To this day it is one of the few recipes I remember off by heart, and still love making and today I'm sharing it with you.


You will need:

- 8oz Self Raising Flour
- 4oz Butter
- 2oz Sugar
- 1 Egg
- Sultanas/Raisins
- Splash of milk



In a bowl add all of the dry ingredients (minus the sultanas.) Use your fingers to mush it all up to create fine breadcrumbs.


It should look a little something like this.


Then add your egg and sultanas and stir until a dough is formed. If it still looks a little dry, add a splash of milk until it's all combined.



Take your dough and make little balls. The size can be however big or small you like. (Massive ones are amazing, FYI!) Place them on a greased baking tray and pop them in the oven.


Pop them in the oven, I put mine at 180oc for 12mins. Temp will vary depending on oven type, and time will depend on the size of your balls (oo-er!)


Once they're looking golden and delectable get them out of the oven and leave them to cool. Whilst it is tempting (and blooming well hard) you must leave them to cool down, otherwise they'll just be buns and not rock buns.


Here's the finished article. You can totally experiment with the recipie. I find that a teaspoon of mixed spice and some glace cherries go really well. We did try to make chocolate ones once but the didn't really work out.

What are your childhood baking stories? I'd love to know.

Laura xoxo

1 comment:

Thank you so much for you comment, it really brightens my day.